Menu

Stack ‘Em High: Whole Grain Pancakes with Dried Blueberries, Ginger & Sunflower Seeds

• Stack of Pancakes
  • Stack of Pancakes
  • pancakes4
  • Stacked Pancakes
  • Essential Oils
  • Details
  • 47 Comments
  • Related Items
LoadingAdd to favorites

Stack of PancakesWhen I was a kid, I loved a thin, flat pancake – preferably made with Bisquick – adorned with a generous pat of butter and drenched, and I mean soggy, with real maple syrup.  It was the way pancakes should be eaten.  My tastes have changed in so many ways over the years and now I love thick, fluffy unrefined pancakes without a lot of sweetness (or oil).  Pancakes that can handle a big, messy schmear of crunchy peanut butter and a boat load of banana slices.  These whole grain pancakes can take the pressure, yet they’re tender and light.  And they’re loaded with flavor from the blueberries and ginger with a nice crunch from the sunflower seeds.  Freeze the leftovers and gently reheat in the microwave or toaster oven.

Sending a huge thank you and virtual hug to my new, sweet friend, Somer, at Good Clean Food.  What a beautiful person she is!  In a recent post she read about a knee problem I have and she immediately offered to send me some essential oils that she thought would help.  Yesterday I picked up her package at the Post Office and inside was a container with all these little bottles of oil!  Kel and I opened each one and had a good sniff!  Can’t wait to put them to good use.  Somer also included a long letter detailing information about each oil and how I should use it – handwritten, folks.  My handwriting is so bad one needs a Rosetta Stone to decipher it.  Anyway, her thoughtfulness touches me so much.  How lucky I am to have met wonderful people like Somer – all through blogging!  Here’s a photo of what Somer sent:

Essential Oils

Lastly, I’ll be posting the final Virtual Vegan Potluck update/reminder tomorrow and I’m going to try and get in touch with each blogger to find out if they need help or have questions.  I’ll also be sharing a great idea that Jason had – so please tune in tomorrow.  And kids: We go LIVE May 12!

Whole Grain Pancakes with Dried Blueberries, Ginger & Sunflower Seeds
Makes ~10

1 1/4 cups soy milk
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup dried blueberries
1 tbsp. crystallized ginger, chopped
2 tbsp. sunflower seeds

I mixed the first 7 ingredients in my Vitamix, and then poured the batter into a big bowl to add the remaining ingredients, but this can easily be done by hand.  (Combine all the dry ingredients; combine all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and then combine the two).  After everything is mixed together, set the batter aside for about 15 minutes.  Get your griddle or pan preheating as well.  I also warm plates in the oven at about 200F.  The cooked pancakes can also hang out in there until ready to serve.

If you find that that the batter has become too thick, add a splash of soy milk.  Lightly spray the cooking surface with oil and then drop the batter by big spoonfuls onto the preheated griddle or pan.  Turn the pancakes over when the edges start to firm up (my pancakes did not bubble, the usual indicator that it’s time to turn them).  Since these are thick pancakes, cook them thoroughly so they don’t end up with a soggy interior.

Serve pancakes with your favorite toppings.

Stacked Pancakes

Print Friendly
  1. Your pancakes look and sound amazing, I love pancakes but I’ve never had them with sunflower seeds in before. Am I right in thinking there are now 65 bloggers in the VVP?

2. What a wonderful oil set! Such a sweet present – do you think you could cook with them? It’s an odd question I know, but the citrus oil sounds like it would be wonderful in a cake!

3. thewholebeet says:

now that is a colorful breakfast!

4. meizac says:

Yet another delightful recipe…and now I know what I’m having for breakfast. :)

Can’t WAIT for VVP!! :D

Also, let me know how those oils work on your knee. That might be my next attempt at healing it/alleviating the pain and swelling.

5. Barb says:

Those look yummy! Unfortunately, I’m still an immature pancake eater… I still want to drown mine in syrup :)

BTW- I’m all good for the VVP!

6. Steve says:

Despite still liking a syrup soggy pancake, those looks pretty darn good too! I’ll order a stack, thanks :)

7. trueindigo says:

Thinking about how you liked super thin pancakes as a kid, have you ever eaten injera? It is a Ethiopian bread that is very thin and spongy. I bet you might like it too.

8. Yum – is that green drink your previously-blogged wheatgrass concoction?

9. Somer says:

Annie! I am beyond touched that you included the gift of the oils in your post. Apparently tearing up a bit comes easily to me this week ;) Thank you a million times back. I hope that they help your knee and that the others can heal whatever else ails you!

And those pancakes, what a lovely complex flavor combination! Funny how vegan pancakes don’t get those bubbles on top that indicate when to flip, eh? I love that you added brown rice to it. Yummo!

xoxo

10. WHat a lovely gift :) I love the connections the blog world allows us to make! I hope your knee starts feeling better soon!

Also glad to see you are really putting that vitamix to good use! Smoothies, pancakes batter, juice….love it!

I love crunchy bits in my pancakes too so I bet these would be right up my alley. Bookmarked :)

11. veg-ease says:

Beautiful pictures!

12. Lovely pancakes! Worked on my post last night, need to polish it up a bit

13. Kristy says:

My mouth is watering over here! Blueberry pancakes are my fave but I am the only person in my family that likes pancakes with things mixed into them (I know, whaaaat?!!), though a couple weeks ago, Sophia, my step-daughter, asked for chocolate chip pancakes, so maybe there is hope! :-) These look and sound amazing and I love how big and fluffy they are!

14. These pancakes look super crazy! I cannot believe they are so healthy but filled with so much deliciousness :)

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

15. Shira says:

Aren’t blogging friends THE best?! That is so awesome! These pancakes look killer Annie – what a yummy breakfast!

16. Lou says:

I hear ya on wholesome, thick not-sweet pancakes… a tasty vehicle for copious amounts of nut butter :)

Oh I LOVE essential oils, what a lovely pack to receive, and thanks to the link to her blog too, another fantastic discovery!

Hand written snail mail is the BEST.

17. Brittany says:

Your pancakes then vs now sound exactly like mine. I loved them douched in syrup when I was younger and thin as a board. Now, the thicker the better..but I do still like syrup haha. These look delicious!

18. biggsis says:

These sound great – and I love the idea of including cooked brown rice in a pancake. We will definitely be trying these. And so love the story of Somer sending some love and ‘medicine’ your way. She really is a lovely person.

19. leroywatson4 says:

What a lovely looking stack of pancakes. Glad to find you here. I’m off to read more……Happy blogging, lee (www.thebeachhousekitchen.wordpress.com)

20. Richgail Enriquez says:

Breakfast food all day everyday! hehe :)

21. vegancharlie says:

as much as I love pancakes and I do love pancakes, these look delicious! when I was younger my grandpa used to call me ms. blueberry I used to eat so many of them I never thought to add dried ones to pancakes mmm yummy and the ginger is like the proverbial icing on the cake.

22. […] Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Pumpkin-Carrot Cake Ginger Whole Grain with Dried Blueberries, Ginger & Sunflower Seeds Whole Wheat Nectarine with Easy Coconut Maple Syrup Banana Bread with Cacao and Pecan & Walnut […]

Fill in the Blank:

Pinto Beans & Black Beans

Slow-Cooker (Un)Refried Beans

Add to favoritesA good friend of mine shared the link to this easy recipe for “refried” beans prepared in a crock-pot and it was so good, I had to further spread the word.  After 6-8 …

Print Friendly
Banana Date Flax Muffin An Unrefined Vegan

Whole Grain Banana-Date-Flax Muffins. Oil- and Sugar-free.

Add to favoritesWe eat a lot of bananas – at least according to almost every grocery checkout person at our local store.  Between us, Kel and I eat about 3-4 bananas a day. I shop …

Print Friendly
Stack of Pancakes

The China Study Cookbook Giveaway & Pumpkin Pancakes

Add to favoritesSome books – and they don’t come around very often – are life changers.  Such was the case for me with The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell and John Robbins.  Because of …

Print Friendly

Rosemary Whole Wheat Rolls

Add to favoritesDig out that six quart food grade bucket and add a mere ten ingredients, then apply a little bit of elbow grease and stir.  Let sit on the counter for a few hours …

Print Friendly
Raw Granola Bar Crackers An Unrefined Vegan

Raw “Granola Bar” Crackers

Add to favoritesI’ve now about worked my way through the entire list of cracker and flatbread recipes in Matthew Kenney’s book, Everyday Raw.  (Raw ice cream – you are next!  As soon as I can …

Print Friendly