Miso-Ginger Soup with Lettuce Veggie Cups & Two Dipping Sauces

Miso-Ginger Soup

Lettuce CupsThe first time I made this simple miso soup, I was home alone and suffering from a bad cold.  All I wanted was soup (a little sympathy wouldn’t have hurt, either), but I didn’t have the desire or energy to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  Miso was the perfect solution.  Quick, easy, comforting and healthful to boot.  You can make it as fancy or as simple as you like.

The veggie wraps come nearly unchanged from a terrific recipe in Moosewood Restaurant New Classics.  The biggest revision I made was to ditch the egg roll wrappers (I’ve never been able to successfully wrestle those rascals, anyway, and the ones available to me aren’t vegan) in favor of crisp lettuce.  I also omitted the cooking oil.  The sauces are a result of my tinkering with several different recipes.

If you participated in the recent Virtual Vegan Potluck, wanted to participate or if you’d just like to keep current on the what’s happening, please Like our new Facebook page dedicated to the event.  We’ve posted all of the links to the wonderful recipes from everyone who did participate – please visit and check it out!  You can also keep in touch via the Potluck Twitter handle, @veganpotluck.  Thank you!

Miso-Ginger Soup
Serves 4-6

2″ piece of ginger, peeled and microplaned (or finely minced)
6 cups water
Red Miso, White Miso Paste3-4″ piece kombu
4 tbsp. white miso
3 tbsp. red miso
1 tsp. tamari or soy sauce
2 scallions, chopped + additional for garnish
fresh cilantro, chopped

Other add-ins, if desired:
cubed silken tofu
thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
grated carrots
buckwheat noodles

Put 6 cups water in a large saucepan.  Add the kombu and the microplaned ginger.  Gently heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.  Remove kombu.  If using add-ins, put them into the soup now and simmer for a few minutes, just to slightly soften the vegetables. (I cook the buckwheat noodles separately and just stir them into the soup at the end.)

Whisk in the miso and the tamari.  Do not let the soup boil.  Cook for about 30 seconds.

Divide soup among 4 or 6 bowls and garnish with additional scallions and cilantro, if desired.

Lettuce Cup in Hand

1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 cup scallions, chopped
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped

Medium-size head red lettuce or your favorite tasty green

Soak the bean thread noodles in warm water until softened, about 15 minutes.

In a large skillet, heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable broth and saute the cabbage for about 5 minutes.  Add the mushrooms, garlic and ginger and continue to saute for another 4 minutes.  The mushrooms should be soft.  Add the carrots and bell pepper and cook an additional 5 minutes or until carrots and pepper are hot, but still have a nice bite.  Remove from the heat.

Drain the bean thread noodles and cut into 4″ lengths with scissors.  Add them to the vegetables along with the scallions, soy sauce, vinegar, basil and cilantro.  Stir to combine.

To serve, place a generous spoonful of the bean thread mixture onto lettuce leaves.  Dip.  Consume.

Hoisin Sauce

Hoisin Sauce

2 tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
2 tbsp. tamari
1 tbsp. vegetable broth
1 1/2 tbsp. black bean garlic sauce
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
1 tbsp. molasses
1 small clove garlic, microplaned or finely minced
1/4 tsp. chile garlic paste
dash ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and dip to your heart’s content.

Chile Garlic SauceChile-Garlic Sauce

1 tbsp. tamari
1 tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos (or additional tamari/soy sauce)
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. white vinegar
3 tbsp. vegetable broth
pinch crystallized stevia or maple sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced or microplaned
2-3 scallions, sliced

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and let sit for about 30 minutes.

56 thoughts on “Miso-Ginger Soup with Lettuce Veggie Cups & Two Dipping Sauces

1. chefconnie

I think I will pick up some white miso paste this weekend when I go into town. I am out and your recipe has inspired me to make some miso soup. My hubs and I love to take it hiking in the morning and sip it on the mountain top!

2. infinebalance

What a fresh and comforting meal! I love miso soup and fresh lettus wraps… but it is something I rarely make for myself (even though I know how :) ) Lovely.

3. vegansparkles

Ooh I just joined the Twitterverse TODAY, so am now following the VVP thingo! :-)
    And I have STILL never, ever tried Miso soup and was having that exact conversation with a friend yesterday AND about one about rice paper rolls with my sister today! It’s a sign. I need to make all of this immediately!

4. Kinenchen

I hope you’re feeling better! After noms like that I’m sure I’d feel like a million bucks…

5. Sweet Posy Dreams

Seeing your bowl of miso soup reminds me of a wonderful Japanese restaurant I used to go to in Chicago. Sadly, it is no longer there, but they had great miso soup and imported red bean ice cream. Ah, memories.

6. Barb

I feel like I’m supposed to love miso more than I actually do, which makes me sad. Those lettuce cups look wonderful though, perfect for the warm weather we’re having here!

1. Somer

:) Now all we need is a hippie commune and Jerry Garcia to come back to life and join us. Actually went to a grateful dead concert in Vegas as a teenager, I thought, so this is what hell is like!

2. An Unrefined Vegan

I can’t believe you said that! Here’s why: my friend dragged me to a GD concert in Chicago the year after we graduated from college. It was the most boring night of my life! I was the only person not on some sort of mind-altering drug and the only one who realized that GD played the same song for 2+ hours. I thought it would never end.

3. Somer

Blahaha! Dying, my experience exactly!!!

During the show I got separated from my brother, he had passed out after too much nitrous oxide balloon and someone stole his tevas off his feet. Worst day ever! The only redemption was that the Dave Matthews band opened the show.

4. An Unrefined Vegan

Lucky you – now The Dave Matthews Band I’d like to see! Worst moment for me was having to pee in the parking lot while my friend held up a blanket for “privacy” (not that it really mattered). Oh and then hauling her drunk ass back to the car after the show… Good times, good times! I’ve GOT to send you a photo. I’ll have to dig one up…

5. Somer

Yeah, the summer tour of 95. Nudity and bodily fluids everywhere. You are right that no one would have noticed. Crazy.

I have to see that photo! Love me some D.M.B.

1. An Unrefined Vegan

I love that miso works in so many different ways, too. I was trying to describe miso paste to my mom (who actually made one of my no-oil, vegan salads which calls for miso – wooohoo! And she served it to guests!!) and it was hard. I came up with “smoky.” Now maybe she’ll get some.

7. Gabby @ the veggie nook

Those wraps are beautiful! I never thought to wrap those fillings in lettuce, but I can see myself enjoying it a lot more than the greasy wonton and spring roll wrappers! Love the dipping sauces as well, especially the hoisin. I’m bookmarking this for the next time I have a craving- I hate how all commercial versions have sugar!

8. tinykitchenstories

Have just entered into my super fancy Evernote recipe notebook! Aren’t I just too organized? Can’t wait to make these! But I hope you’re feeling better. These would definitely perk me up! :)

9. Brittany

Ohh yes, this looks amazing. Lettuce wrap/cups are so good and it has been far too long since I have had some! I love the VVP FB page!! Great idea.

10. Richgail Enriquez

I’d love to make my own miso with this recipe. I miss it so much since I found out what restaurants serve are not vegan. Thanks for this. Also, THANK YOU for bidding for my gift set. I just found out today =) I’ll start working on getting them shipped. Thanks again! This made my day!

11. shuhan

I cook a lot of chinese food, coming form a southeast asian background, and I’ve been able to cook healthily and using whole, unprocessed versions of many of the sauces. for instance I make kecap manis, a thick dark soy sauce which is less common and hence isn’t stocked by health food brands, using a mixture of tamari and blackstrap molasses, almost perfect substitute. I haven’t found one for hoisin, so am chuffed to find this recipe!

what is liquid aminos though..?

12. Sophie33

You made all of that for dinner! I love the miso soup & lettuce wraps a lot & 2 tasty dipping sauces! I love hoisin sauce but never made it from scratch! :) A dibine meal! So good for you & us too!

13. Pingback: Blogging and Friendship | Vedged Out

14. Pingback: Recipe: Kale & Scallion Salad Rolls with Peanut Sauce | In Pursuit of More

15. Annie V.

This looks incredible!

Just wondering, would it be possible to make the recipe using ONLY white miso? Could I sub equal parts extra white miso for the red? I do not have red and am not sure I would use enough of it just yet to justify another trip to Little Tokyo just yet. Would you suggest any adjustments to the rest of the ingredients to compensate for flavor?

Thank you SO Much!

1. An Unrefined Vegan

Thanks, Annie! Yes – absolutely you can use just the white miso. It’ll still taste great and you probably don’t need anything else, but add more soy sauce if you like. Appreciate the comment!

Fill in the Blank: