VeganMoFo: Sunflower, Pepita & Hemp Seed Bread Spread
- 37 Comments
Lunch can present problems. I’m usually starving by noontime, but I don’t want to spend a lot of time preparing anything – and unless there are leftovers waiting in the refrigerator – a meal from scratch is the only option. That’s why a spread like this is worth its weight in gold. It’s quick and easy to prepare, is mighty tasty and very satisfying.
I poached the idea from Feeding the Healthy Vegetarian Family, by Ken Haedrich, but changed it up when I saw that I would have to toast the sunflower seeds and then let them cool. Lunch was due in 30 minutes. So I decided to do the raw thing; and instead of all sunflower seeds, I foraged in the cupboard for pepitas and hemp seeds. I also cut back on the amount of tahini and added miso paste for richness and saltiness. Top with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, red onion, avocado and/or sprouts.
Sunflower, Pepita & Hemp Seed Bread Spread
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup raw, hulled sunflower seeds, divided
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp. pepita seeds, divided
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. hemp seeds, divided
- 2 tbsp. tamari
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. white miso
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 celery rib, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp. white ground pepper
- Set aside 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 1 tbsp. pepitas and 1 tbsp. hemp seeds. In the bowl of a food processor, combine all of the remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Stir in the reserved seeds.
- Spread on whole grain bread and top with your favorite veggies or use as a dip. The spread thickens as it sets.