Saddle up and ride on over to Cowgirls & Collard Greens to meet Ms. Kayle Martin and then make my simple, seasonal recipe for Sweet Potato Apple Ice Cream. While you’re there be sure to take the time to read about her incredible journey back to health thanks to veganism after being diagnosed twice with breast cancer. Talk about food being thy medicine!
- 3 bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
- 1 sweet apple (I use Honeycrisp), cored, cut into chunks and frozen
- 1 cup roasted sweet potato, cut into chunks and frozen
- 5 dates, chopped and soaked in water for about 15 minutes; drained
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use soy)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- pinch allspice
- 4 Tbsp. rolled oats
- 4 Tbsp. chopped pecans
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- In a small pan, lightly toast the rolled oats and the pecans. Remove from the heat and put into a small bowl. Stir in the maple syrup. Set aside until ready to use.
- Combine all of the ice cream ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until very smooth and creamy. This requires some patience and much stirring with a spatula to move the frozen chunks around. It will eventually become soft and silky.
- Divide ice cream into bowls and top generously with streusel. Consume immediately!
(If you are participating in the November 16 Virtual Vegan Potluck, you’ll want to read today’s post on the VVP website about permalinks and why I want yours!)