Review, Giveaway, & Blondies: Sweet Debbie’s Organic Treats
- 49 Comments
- Related Items
First things first: thank you all for your sweet words and support. I was feeling like a major heel for canceling the May Potluck, but I needn’t have worried. Big virtual hugs to one and all! Okay, giveaway time!
What?! What kind of “treats” could one possibly make without any of those ingredients? How about muffins, brownies, cookies and bars, cupcakes, donuts and breads? Sounds good to me!
Although I don’t have food allergies, I do avoid refined sugars and flours, so I was very eager to dive into Debbie Adler’s dessert cookbook to see how she made such scrumptious goodies. Here’s the quick backstory: Fourteen years ago, Debbie opened up her bakery, Sweet Debbie’s Organic Cupcakes, in Los Angeles and offered those lucky Southern Californians delectable baked goods without refined sugars. A couple of years later, she made further adjustments to her treats because of her son’s life-threatening food allergies. Taking pity on those of us who don’t live in L.A., Debbie wrote a cookbook so that we can create her organic, unrefined, allergy-free desserts in our own kitchens. If you’re new to allergy-free baking, you will need to stock your pantry with some different items such as coconut nectar, guar gum, all-purpose gluten-free baking mix (Debbie provides her recipe), stevia, etc. With just a few adjustments you’re ready to preheat the oven!
To see for yourself, pick up a copy of Sweet Debbie’s Organic Treats: Allergy-Free & Vegan Recipes from the Famous Los Angeles Bakery or enter below for a chance to win one. This giveaway runs through midnight (U.S. Central Time) April 10 and is open to those in the U.S. Thanks to Debbie Adler and Harlequin for providing me with review and giveaway copies.
Blondies with Roots
If you highlight your locks, like I do, you will especially appreciate this platinum pixie snack with its chic chocolate chip roots and sophisticated spices of coriander and cardamom. Cardamom is rich in vitamin C and riboflavin, and is considered beneficial to kidneys and bladder. Coriander is high in potassium and calcium, as well, and aids in digestion. And after your first bite, I’m sure you’ll agree that blondies are more fun! – Debbie
- Grapeseed oil, for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3/4 tsp. sodium-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp.coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. guar gum
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain rice milk
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. stevia powder
- 1 cup (vegan, stevia-sweetened) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 8″ x 8″ square baking pan with grapeseed oil.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, coriander, cardamom, baking soda, guar gum, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Add the rice milk, grapeseed oil, coconut nectar, vanilla, and stevia and stir to combine. Fold in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth down with a wet baking spatula or the back of a wet spoon. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake the blondes for 15 to 16 minutes, or until the batter turns a light golden brown and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. Rotate the pan halfway through baking.
- Transfer the pan from the oven to a wire rack and let sit for about 20 minutes before cutting the blondes into 16 squares.
Keep in an air-tight container for up to 3 days, or wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe shared with permission from Debbie Adler and Harlequin.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, visit Legal Stuff.
Add to favoritesIf Valentine’s Day had a flavor, certainly chocolate would be involved, right (duh!)? But it’s not as simple as that. To me, there’s also a hint of cherry in there. I guess that’s …
Add to favorites “No snacks, no seconds, no sweets – except on days that begin with the letter S. – Michael Pollan, from Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual My sweets/sugar philosophy summed up by Mr. …
Add to favoritesAmong the many fun things about receiving a Vegan Cuts Snack Box each month is that it’s a treasure trove of inspiration. A lot of the goodies inside are not readily available to …
Add to favoritesTodd and I had so much fun giving away a one pound bag of broccoli sprouts back in April that we decided to do it again – – and to do it up …
Add to favoritesDay 2 of the NuNaturals products giveaway! To refresh your memory, here’s what four winners will receive: One bottle of the Cherry-Flavored Stevia Liquid One bottle of Vanilla-Flavored Stevia Liquid One 16 oz. …