If you’re a plant-based cook or a food blogger – unless you’ve been living under a block of pressed tofu – you’ve probably heard or seen a nifty app for iPhone and iPad called Vegan Delish. Carrie Forrest (Carrie on Vegan) is the woman behind this amazing product. I was lucky enough to win myself a free download and let me tell you, this is one powerful app! It’s like having a plant-based cookbook in your pocket. I find Vegan Delish especially appealing because Carrie and her contributors nix processed foods and go light on sugars and oils. This is exactly how I run my own kitchen.
Here are some highlights:
- Start out by scrolling through Recipes presented in alphabetical order. Or select from 22 different categories such as Raw, Kid-friendly, Smoothies, Oil-free, Holiday, and more.
- Select a recipe and you’ll notice that each one is rated and even includes comments from people who have made them.
- Ingredients for each recipe are listed in bold and you can add items directly to a Shopping List. You can also change the quantity and the ingredient list updates automatically.
- Recipe steps are short and easy to follow. Carrie also lets you know what equipment you’ll need to make a recipe.
- Love a recipe? Add it to Favorites.
- Click on References and you’ll find a Table of Standard Measurements and a list of recommended websites and equipment. I love the Kitchen Timer located under More.
- Carrie adds new recipes frequently (she just added a bunch for the holidays) and includes recipes from several contributors.
Carrie has generously given me the opportunity to give three of my readers free downloads of Vegan Delish. Enter via Rafflecopter at the end of this post. If you simply can’t wait and want to have this great app on your iPhone or iPad now, click here to purchase from iTunes. Before you go, though, be sure to snag Carrie’s recipe for beautiful butternut squash soup garnished with a rich cream sauce – perfect for the cooler weather. Giveaway ends at midnight on November 19. Although this giveaway is open only to residents of the U.S., Vegan Delish is available for purchase internationally.
Butternut Harvest Stew
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup button mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon no-salt seasoning
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned cannellini beans
- Non-Dairy Cream Sauce (see below)
1. Peel, seed, and cube squash.
2. Chop onion. Slice mushrooms. Mince garlic.
3. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add onions and cook for a few minutes over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until softened. Add garlic, pumpkin pie spice, no-salt seasoning, and oregano. Stir in butternut squash and vegetable broth. Add water if necessary to cover vegetables.
4. Bring squash mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
5. Rinse and drain beans. Stir into squash mixture and cook just long enough to heat through. Remove from heat. Using a hand immersion blender, process stew to desired consistency. Stir in Non-Dairy Cream Sauce and serve hot.
Non-Dairy Cream Sauce
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
1. Combine cashews and non-dairy milk in a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
Carrie Forrest is a graduate student in public health nutrition, author of the popular blog, Carrie on Vegan, and creator of the best-selling app for iPhones and iPads, Vegan Delish, featuring healthy recipes using whole food ingredients. As a thyroid cancer survivor, she is keenly aware of the health benefits of a plant-based diet. Carrie has been vegan since 2010 based on her love for animals and a commitment to making the world a more compassionate place.
Before entering to win a free download of Vegan Delish, remember:
- This giveaway available to iPad and iPhone users only.
- This giveaway is limited to residents of the U.S.
- Three people will win a free download.
- This giveaway is open until midnight on November 19.