VeganMoFo: Khatchapuri Day 1, Tofu Farmer Cheez and A Potluck Update

Farmer Cheez in BowlVirtual Vegan Potluck Update:  We have reached (actually surpassed!) our goal of 100 Potluck participants!  Yay!  The sign-up form on the website will be closed at noon U.S. Mountain Time today – so there’s still a little time to get your blog added.  Tomorrow I will be posting the final list of blogs – in the order they will appear in the Potluck.  The list will be available tomorrow morning both on the VVP Page here and on the VVP website.  More vital information is coming in the days ahead, but you can also visit the website now to get the lowdown on what you need to do to prepare for the Potluck.  Time to get into the kitchen!

Now, let’s make some cheez…

Khatchapuri is a Georgian cheese bread – not unlike an American pizza or a Turkish pide – and it was my absolute favorite thing to eat during the year that I lived in Moscow.  The key to a delicious khatchapuri is a good salty, pungent, tangy, creamy cheese. A bit of a problem for a vegan.  When I was still eating the stuff, I’d use a combination of feta and cream cheese, both readily available items here in the States, while whatever cheese Georgians use for theirs is probably not.

I haven’t made khatchapuri since I went vegan well over a year ago, but VeganMoFo is demanding all the culinary shenanigans that I’ve got – so I decided to tackle one of my most-missed food items. I’ve seen recipes for khatchapuri that call for something called farmer cheese, which I guess has the requisite consistency and tart pungency. I considered making tofu feta, but the recipes I’ve seen call for a lot of olive oil and I’m just not going there. I went somewhere else completely.  The resulting creamy, very salty (without salt), lemony cheez kinda blew off my socks. Tofu, once again, your versatility and chameleon-like abilities amaze me.

Tofu Farmer Cheez
Makes enough for 2 batches of khatchapuri

1 16 oz. carton extra firm tofu, pressed
1/4 cup cashews, soaked in water for a few hours, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup almond milk
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup white miso paste
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1/2 tsp. dried onion flakes
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
ground black pepper, to taste

Combine 1/2 cup almond milk with half of the lemon juice, stir and set aside for a few minutes.

Cut off one-third of the block of tofu and crumble into a blender. Add the cashews, the milk mixture, the soy sauce and miso paste and process until smooth.

Crumble the remaining two-thirds of the tofu into a large bowl. Add the remaining lemon juice, the lemon zest, garlic, onion flakes, cilantro and black pepper. Stir in the tofu-miso mixture. Pour into an air-tight container and let sit for several hours in the refrigerator – or overnight. The mixture will firm up as it sets.

(This would make a super tasty pita filling – as is – no cooking/baking.)

Khatchapuri, Unbaked

VeganMoFo

40 thoughts on “VeganMoFo: Khatchapuri Day 1, Tofu Farmer Cheez and A Potluck Update

1. veghotpot

This looks interesting actually, I often look at recipes like this and it’s all ingredients I wouldn’t usually cook with but I have or can easily get all of these ingredients! Yummy I’ll have to try it, especially because Im going vegan for a month in November! x

1. veghotpot

I’m starting with just one month but I have a feeling it will carry on, or atleast I will become 90% vegan for longer and gradually cut things out. Reading blogs like yours has definitely inspired me because you’ve shown how simple it can be and how many amazing recipes there are to try! Going vegan can only make us more creative with our cooking :)

2. An Unrefined Vegan

That is exactly right!! My cooking/baking has gotten so much more interesting since going vegan. It’s just a happy way to cook, in my opinion ;-). Best of luck!

2. Somer

I’ve never heard of khatchapuri. This looks amazing Annie, and of course I have everything on hand I need to make it. So excited we reached the limit (and beyond) for the potluck! SQUEEEEEEE!!!

3. GiGi

Yay to all the participants, and this I’ve heard of a cashew farmer cheez. I worked in a health food store many moons ago and we sold a lot of milky creamy farmer cheez. Love the shape of these and diggin any cashew or tofu cheez.

4. annesturetucker

Oh it looks good!! When will you make a cook book with all your delicious recipes?
    I just joined the potluck – last min :-) Looking forward to it – thank you for making it happen and for all the work you put in to it!!

1. Fran

I second…er, I mean, third…that motion for a cookbook! If you ever need help editing or with layout, I’d be glad to chip in on such a fun project. You could publish it as an e-book, so that everything from the food to the book would be homemade 😉

5. Brittany

I follow your blog because you’re adorable, you’re fun, you’re spunky, and you’re a culinary goddess!! Cheese is the only thing that I occasionally “miss” after going vegan. Not enough to ever look back, but I LOVE coming to your blog finding recipes like this!! Yay for vegan friendly cheese recipes.

6. Richgail Enriquez

I’ve never heard of khatchapuri before, I’m so intrigued of what it tastes like. I guess there’s only one way to find out 😉 Congrats on reaching more than 100 entries for the potluck! You’re making waves Ann!

7. Cauldrons and Cupcakes

Wow, Annie – this looks heavenly.
    And :( I was too slow to get into the potluck in time.
    But how awesome that you have so many bloggers lined up. You are a force to reckon with, my dear!
    Much, much love to you xoxo

8. Lou

Yummo… this sounds good. Before Vegan I was obsessed with any kind of super salty/tangy soft cheese (feta/goat etc) So I am sure this would be right up my alley. I am intrigued by playing around with vegan “cheese” I must say – just got to find some of that pesky stuff they call TIME 😉

9. narf77

A new recipe for cheeze AND a new yeasted bready meal to try! Thank you for this wonderful recipe and for sharing this Russian treat with us all. I now have something to attempt for Sunday nights dinner and both of us can have it :)

1. narf77

SOOOO good when you can find a cheezy yeasty treat that fills the gap that my soulfood Cheese once did. I love the look of this and I wonder if The Veg might be able to recreate the eggy bit?

10. Pingback: ‘Cheezy’ Broccoli Squash Soup | Canned Time

11. Pingback: 8 Amazing Vegan “Cheese” Recipes

12. Julia

I got a question . do i have to add lemon juice and zest ? Or does this really make the tofu taste like real farmers cheese :) ? Please let me know !! So eager to make this !!!

1. An Unrefined Vegan Post author

Hi Julia, apologies for not responding sooner! Yes, you really do need the lemon juice – the zest is good, but you could probably skip that. The lemon gives the “cheese” its tang. If you don’t have/like lemon, you could try white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, but I haven’t tried it that way so can’t vouch for it.

Fill in the Blank: