Menu

• unbakedbiscuits
  • Almond Butter Biscuits
  • Details
  • 36 Comments
  • Related Items
LoadingAdd to favorites

biscuits1This biscuit is truly a collaborative effort. I modified a recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking, by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau by replacing the vegan butter with almond butter, trading out the AP flour for whole wheat and kicking in some sourdough starter – which came from the kitchen of Amanda of Good Clean Food. The delicious spice blend comes from a sourdough pancake recipe that I veganized (and that failed miserably for me). I continued the team effort by accompanying the biscuits with some tasty finds from other blogs: a pumpkin version of Kristy’s Sweet Potato Pecan Butter and a steaming hot Pumpkin Spice Latte courtesy of Happy Healthy Life.

One year ago today: Smoky Apple-Sage Seitan Sausage & Red Onion Marmalade Sandwich
One year and one day ago: Yeasted Buckwheat Waffles with Cranberry-Date-Apricot Sauce

Slightly Sourdough Almond Butter Biscuits w/ Cacao, Orange & Tart Cherries
Makes 9 or so

unbakedbiscuits1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
pinch salt, if desired
1/2 tsp. spice blend (or just sprinkle in some cinnamon, allspice and cardamom)
2 tbsp. maple sugar
1/3 cup sourdough starter (if you don’t have starter, use 2/3 cup almond milk, total)
1/3 cup almond milk
1/3 cup almond butter
1/4 cup cacao nibs or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup dried tart cherries
zest from 1/2 an orange

Line a baking pan with parchment and preheat the oven to 475F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, spice blend and maple sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together the sourdough starter and milk. Set aside.

Mix the almond butter into the flour mixture and then pour the sourdough mixture in and add the orange zest – stir or use your hand to bring the dough together. Add more milk if necessary. Add in the cacao nibs and the dried cherries.

On a floured surface, pat the dough into a square or circle and cut into pieces. Place on the prepared baking sheet leaving an inch or so between biscuits. Brush with almond milk, if desired. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until brown on the outside.

Almond Butter Biscuits

Print Friendly
  1. Ally says:

Oh wow! They look amazing. The name of these biscuits captivated me! Very impressive.

2. You’re so creative Annie, these look great!

3. These look so good! I love the idea of using sourdough starter in other baked goods besides just plain bread.. it ads so much awesome flavor!

4. Bridge B says:

Ooo great concept!! I wish I was eating this right now for breakfast..

5. Somer says:

I think I killed my sourdough start when we were all sick and I didn’t do any baking for nearly 3 weeks. Not making bread this week either. I’ll have to get Amanda to get me another start so that I can make these ASAP when the challenge finishes! They look AMAZING. xx

6. Shira says:

Looking lovely Annie – amazing to see inspiration from so many sources come together! XO

7. That was quite the collaboration! It looks and sounds yummy and reminds me that I’ve been wanting to start a starter. Thanks for the great ideas.

8. narf77 says:

I “have” a starter…his name is Herman…he is doing penance on my pantry shelf in his dehydrated and vacuum sealed prison till I forget about what he “didn’t” do… I have been very tempted to reanimate him on several occasions…Looking at some recipes I get very excited and think “Herman…you might just be moving out of stasis REAL soon…” but then I remember the slaveatude…the buckets of excess sourdough and the vinegar bricks… and Herman stays on the shelf! A few more recipes like this and I am going to have to give Herman another go against my better judgement! ;)

• Oh my gosh! You speak the truth! Sourdough is a HUGE commitment! I was coming up with any way I could think of to use the blasted stuff ;-)! It’s wonderful, but one must know what she’s getting into!

• narf77 says:

Or “out of” as in my case ;). Herman often pleads his case as I am plucking sauces, condiments, spices from the pantry shelf but I have been steadfast and resolute…so far…BUT I found a very interesting article on olde timey sourdough and how to reduce the “sour” (which has Steve backing away from my vinegar bricks even more than the texture!) thanks to ye olde wagon people in the Wild West…I just want a starter that raises my bread, gives me edible bread and that doesn’t require me to wear it in a baby sling around my neck for the rest of my life (while it breeds exponentially!)…maybe I just need more physical friends than online ones! ;)

9. Brittany says:

I am not a big cherry fan, but this looks REALLY good!

10. Becky says:

These look delicious! I love cranberry and almond together.

11. Sandy says:

Yum! That looks amazing

12. sweetveg says:

This is great! I’ve been needing more ways to use my starter. Yay!

13. Those look delicious Annie! I love all the inspiration! I bet they smelled amazing!

14. Lou says:

Oh these sound amazing…. bummer I just killed a batch of starter, BUT this recipe is the best motivation to get another batch going. Love this flavour combo…. dribbling a little.

15. biggsis says:

You know you’ve had a good idea when a reader salivates at the NAME of your post. Wow. These sound heavenly. Great collaborative inclusive effort – you’re all geniuses (geniusi?)!

16. Kristy says:

These are pretty much my dream biscuits- the pumpkin almond butter (thank you for the mention, by the way!), the sourdough, the cherries, the orange, the cacao nibs! I swoon over all of these ingredients, but combined in a one beautiful biscuit? I’m kind of in love. :-)

17. I would probably down the batter before it hit the oven. Almond butter, and almond milk and cherries? and orange? yeah why turn on the oven.

18. Awesome invention Anne :-) I can just imagine how good that must be with a hint of sourdough -yum!!
    Love it!

19. Oh my goodness, Annie. I just made these for breakfast and they were heavenly!
    And now they are… gone.
    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Thank you! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

20. Sophie33 says:

Waw, Annie! these look just fabulous, divine & wonderful at then same time!

Fill in the Blank:

Independence Day! NuNaturals Giveaway & Cherry-Coconut Creme Pie. Gluten-, Sugar-, & Oil-free.

Add to favorites Sweeteners and I:   Sweeteners and I have a long and storied history together.  We’ve been through the good times and the bad; hit the (sugar) highs and the (sugar) lows; and …

Print Friendly

Warming Up: Broccoli Dal Soup with Red Quinoa

Add to favoritesIn the midst of days and days of skies filled with gray clouds and biting winds, a bright green, flavorful soup was nothing short of a necessity.  Something about cumin and garam masala …

Print Friendly

Super-Quick Poppyseed-Orange-Coconut Cakes for Two

Add to favoritesI’ve been sticking like (well, something like) glue to my Sweets Only On Days That Begin With An S commitment, but even on those days, I’m finding that I don’t have a craving …

Print Friendly

Cracked Wheat No-Knead Bread

Add to favoritesIs it wrong to wax eloquent about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (as I do on my sister blog, Dough, Dirt & Dye)?  Well, if it’s wrong, I don’t want to be …

Print Friendly

7 Days of Salad. Day 7: Spinach & Arugula with Red Grapes & Sunflower Seeds

Add to favoritesYou were wondering, weren’t you?  When I was going to get around to making a salad with greens in it?  Well, here she is – squeaking in at the eleventh hour.  Though the …

Print Friendly