Day 2 of the NuNaturals products giveaway! To refresh your memory, here’s what four winners will receive:
- One bottle of the Cherry-Flavored Stevia Liquid
- One bottle of Vanilla-Flavored Stevia Liquid
- One 16 oz. package of Oat Fiber
- A 50-count box of Nustevia White Stevia Powder packets
Again, no matter where you live in the world, you can enter the giveaway and be eligible to win. Now, onto my gluten-free, sugar-free, oil-free cookies featuring NuNaturals products NuStevia Reb99 and Oat Fiber.
Fun fact: using sunflower seed butter in baked goods can turn them St. Patrick’s Day green. Interesting, to be sure, but maybe not the most appetizing color for a cookie. I found out about this phenomenon the hard way, and though the green color doesn’t affect the taste, I prefer my cookies to be on the brown side. Anyway, the color (which shows up as the cookies cool) is due to the chlorogenic acid in sunflower seeds which reacts with baking powder or baking soda. To balance the acidity, I’ve reduced the amount of baking powder and added a little bit of lemon juice. Adding cacao powder assured no green would peak through. You’ll notice I also have orange juice in these cookies. You don’t taste the OJ in the final product. It just helps tone down the little bit of sharpness of the flours.
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3 Tbsp. NuNaturals Oat Fiber (or oat flour or rolled oats)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia Reb99 or stevia powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. anise seed, ground
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum, optional
- pinch salt (omit if using sunflower seed butter that has salt)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter (I make my own to avoid added oil and sweeteners)
- 2 large very ripe bananas or 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped pecans or chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Lily's Sweets brand sweetened with stevia)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, Oat Fiber, cacao or cocoa, stevia, spices, xanthan gum, if using, salt, and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the sunflower butter, bananas (or applesauce), orange juice, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- Carefully tip in the flour mixture and process the mixture until combined. Add the nuts and chocolate chips and process a few times to mix them into the batter.
- Place heaping tablespoonful of batter onto the prepared baking pans. With wet hands, gently press down the mounds to flatten the cookies. Or, dip a 1/4 cup measure in water and pack in a big scoop of dough. Tap the cup on your hand to pop out the cookies. Place on the baking sheet and gently flatten. Repeat.
- Bake for about 14 minutes (rotating pans halfway through) or until dark brown and firm. Let cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks.
SCROLL DOWN TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!
Giveaway ends at midnight U.S. Central time on March 13.